It All Begins With A Song…

The annual Mississippi Songwriter’s Festival was held this past weekend (September 15-17) on the Mississippi Gulf Coast. This was the eighth year of the festival. The Delta Music Institute showed up and showed out with sweet, original tunes from students Carrie Lynn Stanford and Lucy George. Our very own DMI Director, Tricia Walker, performed as well.

Senior Carrie Lynn Stanford hosted a venue both nights and also hosted the youth showcase. Carrie Lynn said, “I always enjoy going to the MS Songwriters’ Festival because every year I get to meet new songwriters and reconnect with the people who got me started in songwriting.”CarrieLynn

Here’s a great piece of local news coverage, featuring Lucy George giving a shout out to Delta State! (Thanks, Lucy:)

http://www.wlox.com/story/36383974/in-its-8th-year-ms-songwriters-festival-brings-more-talent-to-coast

Our hearts are broken over the passing of the one and only Lucy Janoush. If anyone knew Mrs. Lucy, you would know that she had a heart of gold. She loved the Mississippi Delta, Music, Art, Students, her Family, and so much more.

DMI Senior Brittany McGee stated, “Mrs. Lucy was truly one of a kind. I met her when I first came to Delta State in 2015. She was one of the most caring, genuine souls I have met in Cleveland, MS. Some of my greatest college memories were made possible because of Mrs. Lucy and her family.  She definitely left her mark on this town. So many great things have happened in Cleveland and the MS Delta because of Mrs. Lucy. She will be missed greatly.”

Our thoughts and prayers are with her family and friends during this time of grief. We hope you’ll take the time to read tributes to Lucy’s life and her service to the Cleveland community at the link below. Rest in peace, Ms. Lucy…you made our world a better place…thank you.

http://www.bolivarcommercial.com/newsx/item/6500-lucy-janoush-leaves-legacy-and-inspiration-to-others

Lucy_Janoush_copy